Whenever we see a wedding scene in the movie, we imagine our picture, we find the wedding scene really exciting and fun filled as in most of the Bollywood movies we see the Punjabi wedding rituals. Every time when we talk or think about the Punjabi weddings, we just remember the cheerful, excitement, all the fun filled rituals, loud Bhangra and so many goodies, etc.
Punjabi weddings are not just about the different rituals, but Punjabi weddings are more vibrant and full of life ceremonies to bring the two families closer and happiness and joy. Punjabi weddings include the different rituals. The wedding is more popular for their larger than life celebrations with so many functions. The Punjabi weddings are most glamourous events where everyone is free to flaunt their dressings and show off. All the aunties with shining outfits and heavy jewellery, uncles immersed in alcohol and guys google at the beautiful kudis, everyone has got their own idea of having fun and they actually enjoy at their fullest in the weddings.
Punjabis are the most happening and loving people. So let me tell you if you still not enjoyed any of the Punjabi weddings till now then you should try it because you will really have fun and can have a beautiful experience in your life because Punjabi weddings are awesome. And if you are planning to attend the one then here are some of the functions you will enjoy there. Read below:-
Roka Ceremony: – This is the first function which is similar to the engagement ceremony. In this function, the bride and the groom give their acceptance to their new relationship in respective to their families. Both the families of the bride and the groom exchange the gifts. Generally, the Roka ceremony is celebrated within the family members and friends. No outsiders are invited in this ceremony.
Thaka Ceremony: – This is next function after the Roka Ceremony. In this function both the families meet and decides the date of the wedding. The name ‘Thaka’ means ‘setting a date’ for the wedding function. This ceremony is generally taking place at bride’s place to fix the wedding date so that both the families can start preparing for the other important ceremonies.
Engagement Ceremony (Kurmai) : – This ceremony is a formal engagement in which both the bride and the groom exchange their rings in the presence of their family members and all the friends. This ceremony is generally done at the groom’s place or at some Gurudwara or Restaraunt. Both the families enjoy this function they eat delicious food, prepare dance performances for the couple and enjoy to their fullest.
Chunni Rasam Ceremony: – In this ceremony, the month of the groom covers the bride’s head with the Red Chunni, which indicates that from now onwards the bride belongs to their family and she is part of their family now. Also, she is supposed to respect and upload the honour and the pride of the family. In this ceremony, the bride wears the clothes and jewellery which is gifted by her in-laws.
Mehendi and Sangeet Ceremony: – These two ceremonies full of excitement and joy. The Mehandi ceremony is generally conducted in both the families, where all the ladies of the family whether its sister, mother, aunties all the female members of the family smear mehndi on their hands. And in the Sangeet function all the relatives, family members and friends perform a dance on various songs and on traditional folk songs as well.
Chuda Ceremony: – This, not the ceremony but the ritual that happens in the bride’s house. The girl’s maternal uncle or real brother helps her to wear the chuda, a set of white and red bangles. After that, the girl is smeared with the turmeric and oil paste. After this ritual, the girl takes a bath with the holy water and the wears the bridal dress, which is brought by her maternal uncle or by their parents. The same kind of ritual is also followed by boy’s family as well. But there is one thing different that is ‘sehra’ ceremony in which elder man of the family helps him to wear the ‘sehra’ along with the wedding dress.
The Laavan:- Laavan Phere are the four prayers that seals the final marriage of the couple. The bride and the groom move clockwise around the Guru Granth Sahib ji. After finishing the Laavan the worshippers showers the flower on the couple in the significance of blessings and the couple is officially announced married. The ceremony ends with the final prayer and the prasad is distributed to all the guests.
Reasons Why Punjabi Weedings Are Best:-
- The Bride Covered With The Most Expensive Outfit: – It is a dream of every girl to look very beautiful on their wedding day and to complete this dream the bride wears the most beautiful and expensive wedding attire on her wedding day. The jewellery is an important part of the bridal wear.
- Non-Stop Celebrations: – A Punjabi wedding is a non-stop celebration which included so many functions like engagement, jaggo, Mehendi ceremony, sangeet, cocktail party etc. It is not only the wedding day or a one day function you are required to attend. If you want to enjoy the full wedding of you dear one you need to take a leave from your office at least of one week.
- Best Part Punjabi Food: – The best part of Punjabi wedding is the amount of food that is displayed in front of your eyes at the buffet which is very difficult to ignore. So there is not only the wedding functions where you can enjoy but you can enjoy the wedding food as well. The Punjabi cuisine is one of the best cuisines in India. You will get the variety of sweets, starters, and main dish. So if you are a food lover attend the Punjabi wedding and you will love everything.
- It is a Community Affair: – A Punjabi wedding is a time for the community to bless the newly wedded couple for their life as a husband and a wife. For this special occasion, you can expect more than hundred of people who will come to give you blessings. They come to give the blessings, to eat delicious food and enjoy the wedding.
- Cash Everywhere: – In the Punjabi wedding, you will notice there is never ending the flow of cash. The cash is usually being thrown around with a lot of happiness and without a care. It is traditional to throw cash over the bride and the groom when they enter the reception or any other ceremony. The thrown cash is collected by the poor, and in Punjab, you will see the poor are aware of this tradition and they will be waiting at the venues to collect the cash. It is a way of collecting the blessings from the poor people who are needy.
- Punjabis Know How To Party: – Punjabis knows how to party. They dance, eat and drink. You will not only see delicious food in the wedding but also a never ending the supply of alcohol at every occasion whether its Engagement, Mehendi, Haldi or wedding day. So if you are going to attend Punjabi wedding anytime sooner than be ready for all these new wedding excitements.
- All The Beautifully Dressed Guests: – In the wedding, you will notice that every Punjabi will own at least one blinged out outfit for attending the wedding. The heavy jewellery sets and heavy outfits are perfect for the Punjabi Weddings. All the relatives and family members want to look amazing for the wedding functions. By this way, they show their love and excitement for the wedding.
These are all the wedding ceremonies which can only be enjoyed in Punjabi Wedding. These days people have added some more functions like pre-wedding and post-wedding photo shoot. If you ever get the chance to attend the Punjabi Wedding you must attend it with the full of excitement. It is one of the fun and joyous occasion and a beautiful experience to remember. And if you are marrying or married in the Punjabi Culture do read it and share with your family members and friends.