Turmeric is a very common herb, golden in color and usually known as ‘Queen of Spices.’ This spice has an aroma like pepper and widely used around the world in cooking to flavor food. Turmeric is known for healing a number of health problems as it is enriched with healthy nutrients like niacin, dietary fiber, protein, copper, calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, Vitamin C, E, and K. In addition to this, Turmeric has properties like antiviral, antibacterial, antioxidant, antifungal, antimutagenic, and anti-inflammatory.
1. Skin Benefits of Turmeric
- Fresh look to your skin
Turmeric face pack is best for your glowing face just mix turmeric and sandalwood powder, add few drops of lemon juice to the mixture. Now, apply this pack on your face and leave it for 10 minutes after that rinse it off with lukewarm water for soft and glowing skin.
Turmeric is very effective for acne scars because of its antiseptic and antibacterial nature, you just have to apply a mixture of turmeric and plain water on the scars for 10-15 minutes. Turmeric is effective for all types of skin namely, normal, oily, and dry skin.
- Treatment Of Wrinkles
Turmeric is the best ingredient to reduce the aging lines or wrinkles with combined with some other ingredients as its a great exfoliating agent. To make a face pack you just need to mix turmeric and rice powder with tomato juice and raw milk/yogurt, now apply the pack on your face and neck gently in a circular motion for 25-30 minutes after that rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Reduces Skin Pigmentation and tanning
Prepare a pack of turmeric powder and lemon or cucumber juice and apply a mixture on the tanned/ pigmented area for 25-30 minutes after that rinse it off with normal water. Repeat this process for few months with the interval of 3-4 days for effective results.
- Treatment Of Stretch Marks
Turmeric is a magical ingredient that helps lighten stretch marks. To reduce the stretch marks apply a mixture of gram flour (Besan) and turmeric with water/raw milk/yogurt/ on the stretch marks.
- Removal Of Facial Hair
Prepare a facial scrub by mixing Kasturi turmeric with gram flour and apply this mixture on your face to remove the growth of your facial hair for around 25 minutes and gently massage your face circular motion, repeat this process for about a month for great results.
- Soothes injuries and burns
Turmeric is a magic ingredient that can provide fast relief in case of burns because of its antiseptic properties. first, make a mixture of Turmeric powder and Aloe Vera gel and apply on the burn, you can witness wound would heal after some time. Turmeric has the natural healing property that soothes the oxidation and irritation on a wound/injury and burns, turmeric is regarded as the antioxidant properties that are meant for the healing process.
- Night Cream
You can make a mask from turmeric and yogurt or milk for your face, apply it on your face and leave it overnight wash it in the next morning using a cleanser, it would help to moisturize your skin. Repeat this process twice a week to get younger, healthy, and glowing skin.
2. Hair Benefits of Turmeric
- Prevents Hair Loss
Hair loss can cause due to several reasons such as stress, unhealthy diet, disease. A component present in turmeric named as that act as growth agent beta-one called as TGF beta-one, which causes damage hair loss. You just need to do is mix turmeric with milk and honey it would have a healthy effect on your hair.
- Treatment Of Dandruff
Dandruff/scalp is a common problem with many individuals, don’t worry you just have to make a mixture of turmeric and olive oil and apply it on your scalp before head bath. Massage into your dandruff then leave this for 15-20 minutes and then wash your hair with a natural shampoo it will also provide nutrition to your hair.
- Natural Hair Dye
The yellow hue of turmeric works as a natural dye for hair and brighten hair color and also turmeric is also used for textile dye. Just prepare a mixture of turmeric, yellow herbs and flowers like chamomile tea and saffron. Boil mixture that you have prepared, let it cool down after that pour it over your head. Leave for 20 to 25 minutes, now wash your hair intense color.
3. Health Benefits of Turmeric
- Relieves Arthritis
Turmeric has the anti-inflammatory properties that are effective for treating rheumatoid and osteoarthritis arthritis. Antioxidant property of turmeric helps to kill free radicals in the human body that further kill the cells of the body. If a person is suffering from rheumatoid arthritis but consumes turmeric daily get relief faster from joint inflammation and joint pains. Turmeric tea is beneficial for health as it helps it relief the swelling in the arthritis patients and lowers the symptoms of pain in patients with osteoarthritis.
- Improves Digestion
The primary elements in turmeric stimulate the gallbladder to create bile that improves lower the symptoms of gas and bloating and helps to digest easily. In addition to this, turmeric also helps to treat inflammatory bowel disease comprising ulcerative colitis.
- Strengthen Immune system
It is evident that turmeric has medicinal properties so it boosts the immune system of individuals even if they have immune disorders. As per the studies, turmeric can moderate the immune system of human body.
- Reduces Cholesterol Level
As per the studies if you use turmeric simply as a food seasoning it can lower serum cholesterol levels, we know that high cholesterol results in other serious health issues like heart disease and stroke. To maintain a balanced cholesterol level is good for health and can prevent multiple cardiovascular diseases.
- Whiten your teeth
Without any doubt, teeth also come under the category of health. So, to keep your teeth healthy, white and shiny you just need to add coconut oil and baking soda to turmeric and then stir the ingredients properly to get a thick paste. Now, apply this thick paste to your toothbrush and brush your teeth as you do with your regular toothpaste and then wash your mouth well.
4. Cooking Benefits of Turmeric
- Nutrition Facts of Turmeric
Total Fat: 10 g (15%) Saturated Fat 3.1 g (15%)
Sodium 38 mg (1%) Potassium 2,525 mg (72%)
Total Carbohydrate 65 g (21%) Dietary Fiber 21 g (84%)
Sugar 3.2 g Protein 8 g(16%)
Vitamin C 43% Calcium 18%
Iron 230% Vitamin B-6 (90%)
Calories: 354 g Magnesium 48%
- Make delicious dishes
Turmeric is commonly popular as Indian Saffron because of its yellow-orange color. It adds flavor, color, aroma, and taste to a number of dishes like curries, soups etc. and it also possesses various other useful qualities that we will discuss below.
5. How to use turmeric for Cooking?
- Did you know? you can eat turmeric root raw just you need to wash it in running cold water to extract dirt and then peel its cover with a knife.
- You may also add turmeric powder for salad dressings to give it a fresh and colorful look, additionally, turmeric roots can also be used in the salad and sandwiches to provide flavor you just need to peel and chop the fresh turmeric roots.
- You can also season brown rice with turmeric powder, coriander, and turmeric
- You can also make creamy yet low-calorie dip by mixing turmeric powder and small slices of onion with salt, pepper, and mayonnaise. This dip can be served with broccoli florets, raw cauliflower, and celery
- Turmeric roots can also be added to a smoothie to make it more delicious and healthier, for this, you need to blend the turmeric roots with fresh vegetables and fruits.
6. Turmeric Recipes
- You may make turmeric tea “liquid gold” which is very effective for healthy body system.
- Turmeric eggs and curried carrot soup for breakfast is a great recipe as turmeric has low steroid toxicity and anti-arthritic.
- Spice up your dishes with turmeric powder, recipes/dishes like curries, smoothies, soups, vegetables to add a flavor benefit your body.
7. Side Effects of Turmeric- Can it harm you?
Turmeric also has some side effects allergic reactions to turmeric reported by individuals, basically a mild and itchy rash. Additionally, high consumption of turmeric can also cause:
- Diarrhea, Nausea
- More risk of bleeding
- In case of pregnant women, consumption of heavy doses of turmeric directly to be avoided, as it may cause uterus contractions and putting the pregnancy at risk.
- Hyperactive gallbladder contraction
- Increased menstrual flow
- Hypo-tension (lowered blood pressure)
8. How to reduce the side effects of turmeric?
- In medications turmeric also has effect but positive one, medication like anti-inflammatory and non-steroidal drugs directly use turmeric for better results.
- If you are on prescription medications, you may add ample amounts of organic and fresh turmeric into your diets as it helps to lower the risk of side effects of the medicine.
- As per the study combination of curcumin with a steroid effectively lower the side effects of dangerous medication.
9. Turmeric’s Special Precautions
- As they say, too much of anything is not good, doctors advice to consume turmeric limited to 1500 mg per day.
- During Pregnancy– Consuming food cooked with turmeric is possibly to be safe during pregnancy.
- Breast Feeding- Consuming food cooked with turmeric is possibly to be good for breast feeding.
- Individuals who are suffering from Any type of gallbladder disease should avoid the consumption of turmeric, it may worsen the condition.
- Consumption of raw turmeric is best when a person is suffering from digestive problem.
Now, you must have a strong idea about magical uses of turmeric, its side effects, how to lower those side effects, and special precaution to be taken. So, enjoy flavor of turmeric as suggested, for healthy mind and body. We hope you find this post informative, so visit again to our website for more and latest updates and don’t forget to like, comment, and share. You inspire us to write more and we love doing that. Stay tuned to insiderindian.com. Thanks for reading, keep reading, keep motivating!!